Consider these five simple practices as a starting point for cultivating gratitude.
- Make a gratitude list. Write down 7-10 things on the list each day. Download a Gratitude app to your mobile device or purchase a blank book specifically for keeping your gratitude list.
- Say a grace before each meal. Also say a grace before you engage in a new activity.
- Each time you pick up the phone, receive or send a text, or look at an email or letter, give thanks for that person.
- If you are struggling with fear, sadness, or hopelessness, stop what you are doing and jot down a list of 5 things for which you are grateful.
- Say a prayer of thanks at the end of the day.
From Alive Now, November/December 2011. © 2011 The Upper Room.